Last week I mentioned about the new blog feature I’m adding here in Blackplume, “Share Your Shelf“, which will feature other people bookshelves. Now to officially start this weekly meme I invited my book blogger friend Louisse of The Soul Sisters.
I first met Louisse during Lauren Kate’s book signing event back in 2010. It’s just a quick conversation actually, just a few introductions with her friends. If my memory serves me right, we are sitting in the same row, I’m with my friend ate Chai and Loiusse was with her friend Mavi and others. Mavi is sitting beside ate Chai so we mostly have conversation with Mavi. We exchanged blog addresses, though my blog isn’t really that active at that time. The next time I saw Louisse was during another book signing, another one with Lauren Kate in Makati but I didn’t get the chance to talk to her that day. Next thing I knew we are talking online via twitter about books stuffs. Then one day I got a message from her about Lauren Oliver’s book signing. Louisse got an extra passes for the lunch party with Lauren Oliver since one of her friend who were supposed to use the passes won’t be able to go. Just imagined how stoke I am when Louisse offered me one of the passes. Yes, Louisse is one generous girl. I owe her big time! If not for her, I wouldn’t get the chance to meet and talk to author Lauren Oliver. I even sit in front of Lauren during the lunch party. I’m so lucky and that is because of one lovely girl, Louisse.
Louisse bookshelves or personal library is one of those I envy. Her books are located in the attic of their home which makes me wish that my place got an attic too. Anyway, before I ramble too much let me give you Louisse as we peek to her bookshelves….
1. How do you organize your books? Do you have a shelving obsession? Like arranging them in alphabetical order of author/titles, or by genre, height, or using a color-coded system.
Oh gosh, I’d love to be able to color-code my shelves, but that would take months. Haha! And unfortunately, I’m not as organized as that. I arrange my books by series (not alphabetically, mind you.) I like to separate them from other books by the same author so that it doesn’t look too organized. There’s something about organized chaos that looks lovely.
2. If you can pick just one book from your shelves to stay with you, what book are you going to keep? Why?
I cannot answer this question; it’s like asking me to pick my favorite sibling (I only have one, by the way); it’s impossible. I have a bunch of favorites and I can’t really pick a specific one I’d like to keep. *hugs shelves*
3. What was the first book you ever bought with your own money and does it reside on your shelves now?
I actually don’t remember… I think it was the first volume of the Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle manga series.
4. Do you have any quirks in buying, shelving or stacking your books? (I know someone who actually buy two copies of books, one for reading and one for collection purposes.)
Buying: I have a habit of buying several copies of the same book. I currently have three copies of Insurgent (it used to be four! I gave one away. Haha!) I also have two copies of each of the Infernal Devices novels. Yes, I have no self-control.
Shelving: I like to place my favorite series in the middle shelf’s middle row because it’s usually the first thing a person sees when they enter my attic.
Stacking: Nothing really. I usually stack a few books on my bedside table because I plan on reading them and I’m too lazy to go up to the attic just to get new books. It’s also my way of being “organized”.
5. Do you have different bookshelves for different books (for example, I have all my signed books on one shelf, my favorite titles on a different shelves, and more shelves for my TBR pile) or systems of separating them/spreading them out?
Nope. I just place them all over.
6. Do you keep book(s) on your shelf that you don’t have plan on reading? Like maybe keeping them for the sole purpose of impressing others?
It’s not really that I don’t plan on ever reading them, it’s just that I have a huge TBR pile and I happen to have no sense of self-control when it comes to buying books, so I don’t always get to read all the books I buy. But maybe one day I’ll be able to read all the books I have bought.
7. Are there any guilty pleasures on your bookshelves you would be embarrassed people might see, or do you have a hidden shelf for those somewhere else?
Reading books is never a guilty pleasure, but a fact about me: I read a lot of Romance novels. BOOM. Shocked? Haha! But no, it’s not really a secret and I’m not ashamed of it or anything like that.
8. What was the last book that you added to your bookshelves?
Uhh… Will you judge me if I tell you that I already forgot?
9. Are there any books that you wish you had on your bookshelves but don’t have it now?
Easy answer: Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas. I’m hoping that it’ll magically appear somewhere in there.
10. If someone will peruse your bookshelves, what do you think they would think of your reading taste, or what would you like them to think?
I’d like for people to think that I’m an eclectic person. I have a bunch of different genres in my shelves (e.g. Non-Fiction, Young Adult, Chick-Lit, Fantasy, etc.) I sound like I’m advertising a bookstore. LOL
Isn’t Louisse’s bookshelves pretty? I don’t have much books like that since I don’t have an entire room to fill, but I really like the idea of putting a library in an attic. I just wish I have one. 🙂 Thanks so much Loiusse for sharing to us your bookshelves. I can see myself spending my entire day on that place of yours.