“Most of us look at our days in the wrong way: We exaggerate yesterday. We overestimate tomorrow. We underestimate today. The truth is that the most important day you will ever experience is today. Today is the key to your success”
I have read several John Maxwell‘s book in the past and he never fails me. This time I listen to his audio book entitled Today Matters: 12 Daily Practices To Guarantee Tomorrow’s Success. Like with Spencer Johnson‘s The Present this book discuss the importance of living in a present moment except that Today Matters offers more. Maxwell discuss 12 decisions and disciplines which he calls his daily dozen. These twelve disciplines or daily practices includes topics such as attitude, priorities, health, family, thinking, commitment, finances, faith, relationships, generosity, values, and growth. It will help you control your daily agenda, make time for people you love, find success in your career and nature your personal growth.
I really enjoy listening to this book, it’s like I’m in a cozy place sitting with my mentor in front of me talking about life. Most of the teachings from this book are we know already, it’s in our minds all the time but we just need someone to remind us and this book take that part in an exciting way.
Below are some of the book messages:
- Prioritize your agenda – put the most importance first. Decide every day what’s important to you and then get it done.
- Stretch your creativity and thinking — generate new ideas every day to become a more valuable employee or boss
- Manage your money — manage your money every day, instead of letting it manage you
- Improve and build relationships — connect with others every day and know how much the human experience revolves around our daily routine / habits.
- Nurture your personal growth — find out how to make yourself more valuable every day, and enjoy the payoff tomorrow.
There’s a great time to begin a more successful life and it’s called today.